Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Maggie: The Things She Says


Oh Maggie, Oh Maggie. You make my heart sing.

I just have to share a couple of things Maggie recently said to me through the course of the last few days.

While we were working on a puzzle together that detailed the alphabet and an occupation to match Maggie announced in a rather authoritative style that, "A fire-fighter is a person that comes to your house with a hose and makes the fire disappear and a police-officer is someone who helps you get home when you're lost." Oh how I wish I had the cam-corder running.

Breakfast time: After cleaning her plate from one of her many favorite breakfasts' (egg in a hole with maple syrup) she threw her hands in the air, jumped down from the table and said, "Oh! I need to run and wash my hands. They're stickier than a frogs tongue!"

And last, but not least...

Most recently, Maggie has become very interested in her dear grandparents from England. It's clear that she loves them very much despite that fact that she does not get to seem them as often as we would all like. She has volunteered to draw pictures for them and initiated phone calls and video conferencing. It warms my heart that she has a bond with my parents despite the mere 5456 plus miles between Bourne, the U.K. and California the U.S.A.-- not to mention the eight hours time difference.

However, I'm beginning to get a little puzzled by some of her comments as according to Maggie, she's been having several conversations with Grandpa Brian I do not know about. On the way to school last week she told me the Grandpa Brian said, "... dinosaurs are still alive. They're just very good hiders and like to eat meat." There was another comment she gave me last week about something grandpa Brian said too -- unfortunately I cannot recall the details but I'll be sure to post in comments if it comes back to me.

Now, is it just a mother's love that enjoys such comments or are they endearing to others too?

2 comments:

Kj said...

Here's another cute phase Maggie came out with the day after I posted this -:

On picking Maggie up from Pre-school Ryan was showing signs of being tired and under the weather. Maggie explained to me that "... I think Ryan is just tired mommy. I think he's as tired as the sun."

Kj said...

Naturally, I think of more and more cute things Maggie has said which are worth documenting. Here's one from when she was three years old (shortly after Ryan arrived on the scene).

Taking a walk around the neighborhood we were talking about a cousin' upcomming wedding and her role at flowergirl. We were stopping to smell the flowers and admiring the neighbors gardens, saying hello to some of garden friends such as the earth worm and the rolly-polly woodlouse. Maggie spotted some type of moss like grass growing amongst some step stones which had little specks of white on it when she asked, "Mommy, is that Bridal Grass?" When I asked why she thought it might be called Bridal Grass she told me it was because it had bits of white in it.