As I've blogged before, My Husband, works extremely long hours and when home is often still working well into the twilight hours. These last few months or so have been particularly challenging in terms of the hours he has needed to put in at work and it has been an adjustment for us all. Sometimes there has been weekends which have been lost to his work responsibilities, resulting in some frustrating and disappointing emotions.
However, this weekend was fantastic! A weekend we have been waiting for and needing for a long time. Regrettable it came at a cost to a dear friend of mine for reasons that I shall not go into here, but she knows I love her and was her sweet understanding and empathetic selfless self. A friend as true as they come. I owe her so much and hope her weekend was just as rewarding and special.
But I digress. The family weekend.
It was fantastic because we spent it together, well I gave hubby a well deserved lay-in, but other than that we spent every minute together. It was a simple pleasure and we revelled in it. Saturday we ate lunch out and ran a trip to Costco, and while that's not the same as saying we spent the day at the zoo it was good quality time together. Maggie was wheeling and dealing her way into buying new things and we were talking our way out of getting her another swimsuit and Disney character toy that would have more than likely, at some point, broken our ankles after we stood on it and tumbled to the floor. Ryan was sitting in glee next to Maggie in the shopping cart and bringing his little fingers together to request "more food please" and the big plus? We replenished out t.p. supply which was getting dangerously low -- we were on our last few squares before leaving the house and may have resorted to using the baby wipes to wipe our little aristotles .
Today we took the morning easy. The kids played in the back garden for a bit while hubby and I took turns in supervising and doing our own little "things" we needed and wanted to get done for ourselves. After that we headed out to lunch -- footed with our most comfortable shoes. The four of us plus one dog took a three mile walk through the park, stopping at Subways and a local coffee shop before picnicking further up the bike trail. It was a perfect day for a walk through the park -- sunny with a little overcast. Just a light jacket needed.
I basked in the pleasure of watching my hubby with Maggie and Ryan from the picnic blanket, Jewel (the dog) at my side, as they went off to kick a ball around and play on the slides. I grinned from ear to ear and with open arms as Maggie came running back to me, with her funky kid run, announcing the various "pretend-real animals" she bought for me from the pet store. I got a saber-toothed tiger and another domestic cat to play with our two at home. The image of dear hubby and dear son walking off hand in hand to take on the park's slides and swings will always be imprinted on my mind, the kind that can't be found on a memory card or negative.
All in all it was a good family-bonding day. A really beautiful day, and one I am truly grateful for.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment