I'm weaning my son from my boobs. He is twenty-one months old, three weeks and two days old. I'm writing it here to force me to commit. I am ready to wean him, I have been for a long time. I just find it emotionally hard to to do but it is time.
My last feeding was about 5:30 this morning when he woke unusually early in the morning. He was guzzling it down and was getting a lot from it; comfort and nutrition. And I admit, it was a lovely for me too. But, when he paws at my breast in public and can only be soothed by suckling at my breast when he is feeling insecure or tired my thoughts turn to weaning him.
As much an advocate I am of breast feeding, I also feel it is important for a mother to take charge when she feels it is no longer working in the best interests of her or her child. I feel this way whether the mother has been breast feeding for nothing but a couple of weeks or well into and past the second year like myself. I am in that place, the place where it is time to stop and encourage my son to find new ways of comforting himself. I think it will be a very good thing for us both; but it doesn't make it easy.
I have just put him down for a nap and did not allow him to feed. I held him close and whispered soft words in his ears. It wasn't long before the crying stopped and he had fallen asleep in my arms. It was lovely to feel his body fall limp and his soft skin brush against mine. I layed him down in his crib and he didn't stir or even flinch.
update: (12th June) Day two of weaning, and it was a breeze. He's been great and I think he understands. Very excited and feeling good about making this choice. Fingers crossed for tomorrow (we'll be out and about for most of the day).
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment