Saturday, March 15, 2008

Magazines for Me. Yeah!

I splurged today and bought myself two parenting magazines from the bookstore. I normally don't buy magazines, preferring books or the Internet and have long resented the amount of advertizing and the not so subtle idolizing of "perfection" which we know is impossible to meet. However, despite the cost, I have to say I actually like these two magazines -- Brain, Child (5.95 USD) quarterly issue and The Green Parent (11.49 USD) bi-monthly issue.

The Green Parent is printed on recycled paper and released in the U.K. I suspect the writing style appealed to my subconscious, but asides from that I found several original articles on parenting issues I enjoyed reading. One was a very poignant and memorable personal article about preparing for the early death of a loving husband and father (I promise you it wasn't morbid), another was about a family's experience of living simply and off the land in a tent and camper-van, a third about dispelling the myths of breast feeding. All in all a great magazine which got the synapses pulsating after a long day with the kids.

Brain, Child was an equally good buy for my emotional well being and mental work-out. The title of the magazine is very appealing too don't you think? Brain, then child? I love it. My favorite thing about this magazine is that it doesn't have any advertisements (yeah!) and many of the articles are written and sent in by its readers. And, I have to tell you, the writing is high caliber stuff and stimulating too. Here are a few article titles to wet your appetite, "Not One of Those Mothers: No nominations for sainthood, please.", "Online, Off Kilter: SAHM ISO High-Speed Connection." and last but not least, "The Debate: Is there such a thing as too many toys?"

No comments: