Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Money, money, money.

In light of a recent family budget assessment, we have realized that we need to cut back on some of our expenses. Money worries always make me anxious as they do most people. We are fortunate that we have many of life's luxuries but the cutting back is still an adjustment. I cancelled the gardener this week, we are stopping our netflix subscription and internet phone. My usual rule of thumb of ordering dinner in once a week and lunch out once will no longer be so. My daughter's birthday party this Saturday will be a low key affair and I am so relieved that all she has really asked for is a dinosaur pinata and not a bouncy castle or a pony. We have plans to sell some old gear and my husband has committed to selling some of his -- something we have both been intending to do for some time. To many, I must sound like a spoilt brat and the truth of the matter is I have been spoiled. Now it's time to reel in and tie those purse strings and budget, budget, budget.

When I wish for more than I have, a part of human nature I think, I recall this video and remember again just how lucky I am.

2 comments:

Don Mills Diva said...

I feel so spoiled too sometimes. We have some money worries right now too but our lifestyle is pretty fantastic so it really is relative...

Tonya Staab said...

Oh yes hon, I know how you feel ... wonder if Randy reads here too ... I snuck money out of my o/seas account yesterday for a shopping spree so the kids would have winter clothes for our upcoming vacation. I still feel guilty. I need to have a yard sale, I need to start cooking more and getting takeout less. I need to get into a whole new routine and not spend so much.

Oh, I just read it was Margaret's party today. Happy birthday Margaret, hope you had a fabulous day.