No matter what my best intentions are, I always end up staying up late and stressing out the night before my child has a birthday party. No matter what the best intentions are, my husband crashes before I do and spends the following morning making the birthday cake as I flap around him getting increasingly stressed. People arrive, family dive in to help with the last minute madness, a good friend arrives and gives me the look which tells me she understands without me uttering a word. The children and their parents arrive and my world starts to spin on its head and then, finally, I relax. In time to watch my child blow out the candles on her birthday cake. I watch with every ounce of my being. My eyes are on nothing but my child and I wish time could stand still for just five minutes so I could absorb every details. I wipe away my tears and move in for a smooch.
As of this evening I have a bathroom floor to clean, a sofa and floor full of clutter that needs to be hidden away in some form of collective order, kitchen counters to be wiped down and gifts to wrap.
I look forward to the day after tomorrow when I can sit back and say it went well and that it was all worth it.
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
OOH HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Is it Margaret or Ryans????
I hope you are going to share a couple of photos of the festivities, I'd love to see.
We must arrange to get together soon.
Post a Comment