Today was one of those days. You know, the days which are filled with so much comical drama you look over your shoulder for the hidden camera.
Let me share the story with you.
I was running a lot of errand with my two kids today and my big girl announced she needed to go potty right as we were about to march into a shoe store to buy my son some new shoes. Although this was my third attempt to go shoe shopping for my son I was not about to risk her weak bladder relieving itself in the middle of a shoe store so we headed straight for the nearest public bathroom.
As I picked up a long stride my daughter trailed behind me with her toy stroller seating her pink stuffed cow. It was obvious that she did not feel safe picking up the speed for fear her bladder letting go. We must have been a pretty sight. I, recklessly pushing a stroller with a sleepy toddler whilst my daughter was pushing hers one handed with the other clasped right where it needed to be to stop all from flowing out.
We got to the bathrooms. We were so close and my daughter began to hop and skip from on foot to the other urgently saying, quickly mummy, quickly. I pushed on the door labelled with the woman in a skirt and it didn't open. I looked down and saw it was locked. I looked around and saw the janitor waltzing away in the opposite direction, probably bemused by the sight of me and my daughter. With one look back at my daughter, I took one giant leap to the right and pushed on the door marked with the picture of a man in pants. I opened it wide, yelled "hello" and marched right in -- said daughter ahead of me.
The men's bathroom was empty but my daughter continued to hop from foot to foot, "Mummy do they flush by themselves. Mummy, no mummy! They do. They flush by themselves." "Mummmmmmyyyyy" followed by a wail from my son. I see the urinal, it has no auto flash that my daughter can see. I pull her pants down and tell her to go. I hear no flow. I ask her if she's done. She says yes and tootles down from her awkward perch. What I see is not going down any urinal. There is a knock at the door. It is the janitor. Am I in trouble?
I splutter some kind of nonsensical thing out and she just smiles and nods her head back at me. I then hear her turning away a man with some explanation I can't fully understand. Phew I am safe. Back to the object sitting in the men's urinal and my daughter with nickers and pants around her ankles. I pick up the object with paper towel and place in proper disposal unit, wash my hands, help my daughter wash hers and head to the nearest clothing store to buy a new pair of nickers and shorts. She had wet her pants, and the change of clothing I had in my bag was wet from the leaking water bottle I had stowed in there hours earlier. Oh jeez....
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
One of those days! I can vividly remember a similar situation without a baby in tow and that was stressful enough.
Post a Comment