My husband, great man that he is, isn't all that great about gift giving. I'd say his skill in gift giving is right up there with his reluctance to do housework, cooking -- or gardening for that matter. For a little perspective, he choose to give me an electronic toothbrush for the first birthday as his wife; Walgreens was the only store open before 10am the morning of my birthday. As the years have passed I have sometimes gracefully and sometimes not so gracefully accepted this part of our relationship but ultimately always believed in the sanctity of it.
To give hubby credit, he has slowly improved over the years but he's never going to be a guy who showers me with gifts and lines up surprise parties no more than I'd want him to be that way that guy. However, since the arrival of our children I have felt the display of affection and note of appreciation is definitely one which should be displayed as an example for our children to model from; believing that through us they learn how to love and respect one another, themselves and us as parents.
Henceforth the email I sent to hubby on Friday about mid-day titled "Some Ideas for Mother's Day". In it I listed suggested a place to pick up a card with the kids, some light housework chores to do and some fun kid projects to do and some photos of the kids. Thankfully hubby was not offended and took it in his stride. Little did I know he had already made a start on honoring me for mother's day.
I got not one card on mother's day but three. One from each child and one from hubby. The three of them came huddling in my room after a lovely two hour solitary lay-in. The sight of all three happy and proud little faces at the end of my bed as they each handed me a card was picture perfect and bought me to tears. Maggie asked why I was crying and I got to tell her it was because I loved her, Ryan and Daddy so very much and was just really happy and so very proud. I'd say this was the moment of my mother's day which will stand the test of time the best. Their faces and warm bodies just melt my heart away and without anyone one of them I wouldn't be the mummy I am.
But, but, but... there is more. I also received two bouquets of flowers. A sneaky decoy from the market and another delivered my mail on Saturday with a hallmark worthy poem written by hubby and a wonderful box of choccies to share -- plus, plus, plus....a date night for next Wednesday to see the musical "Wicked". Oh what a lucky gal I am. I am. Oh what a lucky gal I am.
Tonight, I shall sleep well. Can't wait for tomorrow start. I feel so blessed and am so grateful for the love which surrounds me. I'll just work on the housework today and schedule that family portrait myself and count down the days to wednesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
What a wonderful day! It sounds like the best Mothers Day ever. Have fun tomorrow. Are you taking the kids?
You have me with tears in my eyes. What a beautiful day. Well done to hubby for making it so special. Have a great time tonight :)
Post a Comment