Got a call back from the evaluator today. Emotions are amix. We discussed the possibility of autism. In her observations (without my input) she would borderline him as being at risk. At the end of the conversation I asked her not to currently recommend further evaluations but to reevaluate at twenty-four months -- a standard time when autism is checked for at well baby visits.
I've got the mother load of mothers guilt tonight. Maybe if I paid more attention to him during the day. Maybe if I sat down with him and did puzzles, and drawing. Maybe if I enrolled him in playgroups...
Then again, I say -- this is just who he is. Please don't label him. Put your pens down and just watch him. Talk to him, not at him. Hold him, hug him. Laugh with him, play with him. Wait; watch and listen. Look at him with your eyes, your heart and your soul. Forget the checklist. Toss it to one side and come back at playtime.
Objectivity is truly a virtue when it comes to providing your child with all that he needs and protecting him from the things he does not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Ohhh Karen. No matter what, you had nothing to do with the outcome. He's a fantastic, loving, bright little boy who is really just a joy to be around. I don't know what to say, other than you're a great mother, and it shows. You're an inspiration to me.
Ditto to what Amber said. We all know and love Ryan for who he is, not who the evaluator 'thinks' he should be. Every one is an inidividual and we all have our quirks. Give our little man a big kiss from us.
Oh honey, I had no idea you were going through this.
Lisa is right, everyone is an individual. Don't blame yourself for anything and you were right to ask them to wait and re-evaluate later. You are a great mother, never forget it.
Post a Comment